ABOUT 30 people had to be evacuated and 13 treated at the scene of a chemical leak in Melton today.
Ten CFA units attended the emergency at Gateway Plaza on High Street.
The area was cordoned off after a strong metallic odour was detected.
The incident is now under control but the CFA has urged people to avoid the area.
CFA operation officer Trevor Roberts said about 10 CFA units were called to attend, as well as police and ambulance.
"We haven't been able to determine any substance at this stage," Officer Roberts said.
He said that employees from Chemist Warehouse experienced nausea, headaches and difficulty breathing following initial reports from employees of an odour emanating from the rear lane way.
"Appliances from as far as Corio and Dandenong, that have the specialist scientific monitoring equipment, attended to help in the various stages of investigating the chemical," Officer Roberts said.
The equipment tested for flammability and ammonia levels.
"Once when we know there is no presence of any substance in the building, we will allow people back in," Officer Roberts said.
Click on the image below for our gallery.